Sunday, November 9, 2008

Who Is The Odd Duck?

It may surprise some of you but this time last year I had no clue. I was suicidally depressed, in limbo at my parent's home, not eating at all, and it was a daily struggle to not go for the nearest knife and end it all. I honestly thought I was trash.

I think if I had known about blogging then, I'd have started up immediately. I was treated like a leper, as a failure, and other than Tinkerbell I had no one who really understood that I needed to just talk. I owe her my life.

Slowly I began to pull myself together. An improved Kendall, at least I think so. I'm only now starting to believe people when they say I am strong for not giving up. For not shutting Tinkerbell and later others out.

I have been through so much in my life. Rape, homelessness, depression, death, neglect and that's just what has directly affected me. Indirectly, if you name it, I've more than likely tried to help someone with it once in my life.

Now I am quickly approaching my 21st birthday. I have found love, a family. The people in my life, despite sharing no blood relation to me, give me faith in humanity every single day and I am blessed to know them.

I have learned to love myself.

I have learned to accept myself.

Now I need to work on forgiving myself. The hardest thing of all.

I am a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill. I am the boyfriend of a Duke nursing student. I am quickly stepping into the role of father to her 4 year-old. I am the teaching assistant to a truly amazing group of first graders. I am a Sunday school teacher who long ago hated God. I am a waiter whose coworkers have accepted me wholly. I am a friend whose friends are more family to him than anything.

These are my parts, but I am more than the sum of them.

I believe in second chances.

I believe that love can and does last.

I believe that there is no such thing as a "friend", there is only an acquaintance and then there is family for life.

I believe in taking life as it comes.

I believe that I was put on this Earth to help people.

I believe that your word is your bond and you should never break it.

I believe that as long as you have faith in something, that is all that matters.

I believe that children are something to be protected and nurtured but also that they are often capable of understanding more than we give them credit for.

I believe that to teach someone how to garden is to teach them how to care.

I believe that a great book is one you are sad to say goodbye to when it's finished.

I believe that the sound of a child laughing is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world.

I believe that great cooking moves from the heart to the hands.

I believe that love is love is love, whether it is heterosexual or homosexual.

I believe that teaching is going to be one of the most challenging experiences of my life, and one of the most rewarding.

I believe in smiling through the tears.

I believe that there is always hope for a better tomorrow, we just have to be willing to fight for it today.

I am the odd duck.

These are my fears, dreams, tears, laughs, failures, and triumphs as I go through life.

These are my confessions.

12 comments:

  1. I believe I'm happy to confess I have a cool award for you I believe you'll really like ;)

    Come and get it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh, I just want you to know that I admire you so much! You are such an inspiration and I don't even know you in real life!! Just know that you have definitely inspired and helped out this girl all the way in Cali...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that odd ducks are the best ducks of all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My confession is that I have no idea how I found your blog. I was just idly clicking links and found your beautiful post.

    Thank you for your words - happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confess that I have the same beliefs as you, but have yet to experience some of them (love).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane - Thanks!

    J - Thank you dear, nice to know I can affect people from across the country.

    Mel - Well, of course.

    Kimberly - That's how I find a lot of the blogs I read. I just follow random links. Thanks for the early birthday wishes.

    Lady X - When it does happen, you are never the same again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odd Duck u rock! Such an inspirational post! Ur very brave and strong! Keep up the great blogging!

    X CG

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a great post! I always love your posts but this one was even more better then what I've come to expect from you! =) Love it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. And only 21! I would've guessed that you were older, based on your mature posts.

    Happy soon-to-be-Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks CG, Tiff, and Tristan. And thanks for the early birthday wishes, even though I should have clarified and said I wouldn't be 21 until January.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kendall, I just adore your writing. It really reaches deep. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness. This made me almost cry! It is true that I am a little emotional today, but you are a poet. That was so beautiful, honestly I am just speechless. Thank you for having faith in humanity and thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?