Monday, November 17, 2008

To Teach And Never Be Weary

"Mr. Kendall?"

"Yes Lulu?"

"Why do you want to be a teacher?"

20 sets of eyes looked to me for my answer, 19 from their spots on the floor and the last from Frizzle as she did paperwork on her desk. Reading circle

I looked over to the left and asked Skittles, a small and rather outspoken girl, if she remembered when she hugged me after I helped her with her reading. She nodded but was still confused as to where I was going with this.

That moment when she could move from letters to syllables to words to sentences with increasing confidence was what destroyed any doubts I had that teaching was what I wanted to do with my life. I always knew I wanted a career that could help people in some way, shape, or form. I just wasn't entirely sure what that would be.

Helping a child reach their heights and move on beyond them has become my goal. And I am nothing if not single-mindedly determined when I set my mind to something. I have never wanted a job where it is the same thing every day and this is something where I'm guaranteed to be doing something different.

I remember a professor of mine once saying that teaching is a draining profession. That you give and give with nothing in return until you are but a husk of your former self.

I disagree with this view emphatically.

I see a teacher as one who does continually give of themselves yes, however, we are given something in return besides an unappreciative salary. To know you had a hand, however small, in someone else's success is an amazing feeling and one I hope I never feel numb to.

I'll find another line of work when that happens.

Is this going to be difficult?

Yes but often times the most worthwhile things in life are.



And if they aren't worthwhile, I don't know who is.

6 comments:

  1. When I was 12, I was in a program where we taught 4-year-olds how to skate, and the satisfaction of watching go from sitting and screaming on the ice to waddling from one end on the rink to the other with smiles on their faces was enough to convince me that I wanted to teach when I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was consistently told journalism would make me no money and I should pick another career, but it was something I loved and had a passion for, and in my opinion, that's so much more important.

    Friends of mine went into fields where I know they're unhappy, but they roll in salaries I can, at this point, only dream of. And perhaps they can buy what they want, do what they want, etc., but each day I go into work and leave knowing someone out there is reading what I've written, I'm proud of what I've done. And it makes those dollars I earn worth so much more.

    I hope you get the same thing out of teaching, and from the looks of it, you certainly will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady X - This image fills my heart with "awww".

    Mindy - I have friends like that too. I either get the reaction that I should find a better-paying career or they're amazed I actually have the patience for it. As someone who had read some of your articles, I would imagine it is a very satisfying feeling.

    Diane - Most definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha...usually it's women that are the "ex" stalkers, not men! AND i thought i made it perfectly clear when we broke up to not talk to me again, so why is he trying to contact me again...after 8 months of not talking??!

    any suggestions?

    did i mention he has a girlfriend? (the one he cheated on me with!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought teaching was one of the most noble professions and underappreciated professions as well. I really think, in able to be a good teacher, you have to truly love what you do..and I think you will. You are going into it for the right reasons and your life will be SO rewarding because of it..I'm sure you know all this...but I really admire you!

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?