Thursday, November 20, 2008

Talking With Strangers = Kids Don't Try This At Home

Know how your parents always told you not to talk to strangers? Well apparently I never really listened to that lesson. I think it's my conditioning from years of journalism.

I'm sitting on a bench during my lunch break, reading A Lion Among Men, when an elderly man sits down beside me. He leans forward on his cane and looks at me from the corner of his eye.

Man: Is that a good book?

Me: Yes sir, I actually like them better than the original Oz books.

The man nods with an odd smile and then makes a rather random comment.

Man: It's always nice to see young men reading and not wasting time on their XStations.

I almost correct him when I notice the smirk.

Man: You know my wife, God rest her soul, was a bookworm herself. Rainy days she would sit in the kitchen with whatever book she found laying around.

Me: That's how I am. I'm sorry for your loss.

Man: I won't lie, I didn't know how I would go on for a while. Plus we had two girls, one about your age and one who had just turned 12.

Me: What happened?

Man: It was breast cancer. When she found out it was terminal, she never really quit living and even died with a smile.

Me: Your wife sounds like an amazing person.

Man: Oh that she was. She lived every day to her fullest and I can only try and do the same. I've fought in Korea and 'Nam, and one thing that hell taught me is that all we can hope for is that when we go we leave something that will last beyond our lifetimes. That we did something good.

Me: I think if I can look God in the eye and say honestly that I had no talent left because I used everything He gave me, I would have made full use of my time here.

He rubs his chin and nods before looking up the road at the bus one stop away.

Man: That's a good way of looking at it. Well young man, I must be going. I wish you well in life. Oh and be sure to work with your lady. Humans aren't meant to be alone.

As the man was getting on the bus, something clicks in my head. I never told this man I was in a relationship so how could he say that with such assurance?



Now while y'all try and ponder that one, I'm going to eat some dinner and change clothes. Why? Well, I may be going to a certain movie premiere tonight. I can neither confirm nor deny whether it involves vampires or not.

Happy trails!

3 comments:

  1. Old men just assume young people are dating. It is what they did when they were young. That is still strange though and I know I am making assumptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old people are funny; some are unbearable, yet others are absolutely amazing people.
    You don't need me to tell you that though, you work in the restaraunt industry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sounds like a very interesting man, like someone you would want as your grandfather. The only thing my grandfather talks to me about is how he hates my hair or how he wished I would get married and settle down. *sigh* Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?