Saturday, November 1, 2008

Basking in the Afterglow

Well, that caps the end to another wonderful Halloween. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves with whatever (if any) plans they made. Before I get to the good parts of my own recap, I have a question. Why is it we no longer have flashlights while trick-or-treating? Seriously folks? Eva and Daybreak were both in white costumes and we still had a flashlight while I carried a glow stick around my neck. It would seem like common sense should dictate...

dark costume = the thought that I need something to show people I'm here.

I was carrying a sleeping Daybreak when we saw the blue lights of police sirens. As we got closer, we could see a man being given CPR on the curb while three feet ahead a truck had wrapped its front end around a stop sign. Safety first, folks.

Aside from hoping that man would be OK though, our night was fantastic. Although I did have a mild panic attack.

We were making one of our last house stops when we notice Daybreak is getting sleepy. Since my car was still a few blocks away, I just held her as we walked. One woman, in her late 20s at the oldest, sees me with a little girl in a ballerina costume with a woman dressed up as a witch with her arm around my waist and laying her head on my shoulder.

Woman: "Aww your daughter is so cute."

Me: (not thinking about what I'm saying) "Yes she is."

Eva: (trying not to laugh) "Thank you Ma'am, but now we need to get her home and to bed."

When she has Daybreak buckled in the booster seat, she finally looks at me and asks, "Your daughter?"

As she voices this question, I had my jester's hat off and was in the process of cleaning the makeup from my face. In a moment that was pure Kendall for the world, I stab the paper towel I was using right in my eye in surprise. I think quickly and when I realize what she is referring to, my eyes widen.

This is not the first time I claimed Daybreak as my daughter without thinking about it. Maybe my subconscious and my heart had claimed her long ago, they were just waiting for my head to catch up. Looking at her small form sleeping, I knew it didn't matter.

I looked Eva dead in the eye, and said. "Yes."

The smile that drew from her was quite simple one of the brightest I had ever seen.

After cleaning up from breakfast this morning, we did a count of how much a haul we scored last night. Eva gave up trying once she got to 200.

Daybreak: "Papa, you're our good luck charm every year now."

Me: "Stick with me Kiddo, and we'll score enough candy to last until the next year."

Daybreak: "Mmm me like. Mommy, can we have some now?"

Eva: "After lunch, yes."

Daybreak: "Awww, that's no fair."

Me: (whisper) "We'll sneak some later."

Eva: "I heard that!"

Ah good times, makes me look forward to next year. Now I need to wait out this sugar rush and then head to my hometown for the weekend. Take care everyone. Please try and avoid the diabeetus.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great Halloween! :) By the way, I gave you an award today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one word for you... Awwwwwwwwwwww. (Awwwwwww is a word, right?). And cool beans on the November novel... keep me posted how it's going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish Australia did more with Halloween.. It's just another day on our Calendars..! I'd do it purely for the candy.. Mmmm do you guys get give Reese's cups? They are sooo damn good..! It's like finding a diamond in the rough getting those down here..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday, I had a client tell me that "Halloween ain't no good fuh me cause I got the sugah." The Sugar has got to be right up there with Wilfred Brimley's Diabeetus. Love it. :)

    Glad you had so much fun yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sweet!! I'm happy for you. Glad to hear you had a nice Halloween. =]

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?