Thursday, November 20, 2008

Wednesday Workshop: Two For One Special, That'll Be $4.78 Please

Hey folks, it's that time again. Because I am so dull awesome, I'm going to be doing two prompts this week. The first of this week's prompts from Mama Kat is

4.) Write about something that bothered you this week.
5...4...3...2...1...

I am not close to either of my parents. I never have been and I doubt I ever really will be. My mom worked all the time and my dad...well he did anything but hang around us. So when my mom had a new job when I was 15 and wanted to spend time with me, I was really really jaded towards her. Still am, I suppose. We've made progress since then but she is not someone I go to with my problems.

So with Thanksgiving coming up I needed to finalize my plans. I called her before heading to my first graders this morning where she kind of started to give me the fifth degree because I wouldn't be getting there until Thursday morning and don't plan to stay any longer than Saturday afternoon.

She asked me why I couldn't come home Wednesday. I replied that I had a test Wednesday night and would rather not have to drive an hour and a half afterward. And as for me leaving on Saturday, I've learned my lesson about spending too much time there.

I won't go into specifics but my last visit consisted mainly of arguing, tears, and alcohol. Not even necessarily in that order.

Then afterward I feel guilty that I am not staying longer though I know good and well that I'd be miserable. So when my cousins leave, I won't be far behind them. I was actually told I was being childish for not wanting to be around fighting parents.

Maybe I'm just tired of having to be the adult.

==================

To end on a lighthearted note, here's my second prompt:

1.) The last time I laughed really hard...
5...4...3...2...1...

After Bio lecture had let out, I met The Pop Queen in the building and decided to catch up with her while I still had some free time. While we were sitting, this girl who neither of us knew came up to us who I shall refer to as C and started chatting to me.

What was my name?

What was my major?

What I liked to do for fun?

After she's pretty much asked me for my life story, she asks if I would like to come to her sorority's party on Friday night.

Now me being my lovable dense self, I don't realize that this woman has been hitting on me the entire conversation until The Pop Queen has to muffle her laughter in her scarf in order to remain inconspicuous. Once C has left, The Pop Queen fills me in on what I failed to notice.

Later in the night, I get the following test message from The Pop Queen:

"So are you going to that party, because I would feel weird going without you since she just said I could come because you're my bbf (black best friend) and she was pretty hot. Since you're dating [Eva], think you could send her my way? Please and thank you."


Cue laughter. I heart my twin.

5 comments:

  1. Hey there. Not quite sure what to say about your first prompt. It was well written? LOL. I am sorry that during the holiday season you find yourself stressed and feeling guilty. Thats just not right. Good thing you've got your bbf by your side. What a kick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two nice stories - good to see the serious in your life has a counterbalance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parents can be difficult, can't they? I enjoyed both your prompts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel bad about ducking out early on Tgiving. Family time can SUCK. And why should you have to suffer through it any longer than you have to? Because you share some DNA? I don't think so. Do what's right for YOU... and enjoy your holiday as best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand your feelings about staying at home for too long during the holidays. I feel the exact same way. I went home for 2 weeks last Christmas, and I wanted to kill myself. And it's the same every holiday. So, I've learned my lesson, and you shouldn't feel guilty, because having to put up with stuff like that is draining.

    Look at you, getting hit on by random sorority girls! What a stud =P

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?