Thursday, November 13, 2008

Yes I Have An Accent; Is There A Problem?

Being stereotyped is nothing new to me. I'm a black guy standing at 5'11 and about 190 lbs, it's something I long ago learned was going to happen. Stereotypes regarding my appearance I try and let just roll off my back, it's difficult but it's better than becoming bitter right? I long ago lost count of how many times I've had women cross the street from me in fright if I'm walking at night but that's a whole other post in itself.

So in my 20 years of life I have never had this happen.

I was serving two guys and a girl about my age and as I asked them what they wanted to drink both burst out into laughter. I was confused.

The girl said it was good they were giving people from the area jobs near campus and freeing up for students for studying.

Hold the phone.

Pasting a shit-eating grin on my face, I explained that I was a student and this was how I paid for my bills and rent.

They looked at each other in shock and the guy had the balls to ask me to show my student ID. I flashed it and they asked if I was a student, why would I have a southern accent? The other guy said he didn't know they allowed hicks in.

So because I grew up in the country, I'm not intelligent?

I guess that 3.8 GPA is just pity then.

Who knew?

13 comments:

  1. That's crazy!! How ignorant.

    PS I like your Emerson quote, can use it on my tumblr (www.quotedropper.com) with a link to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do meet some of the most bizarre (and most ignorant... and clearly the rudest) people on the planet. Is there a perpetual Asshole Convention going on in Chapel Hill? Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Accents, skin colour, body type, age, gender, hair colour, religion... people will use anything as an excuse to judge someone.
    We were just talking about this in Form, Genre and Value class, how people with certain accents (it's Southern in the states, but it's Newfoundland aka Newfie here in Canada) are stereotyped to be less educated than the rest of us. It just proves society's discomfort with "The Other". I'm going to stop now before I apply literary theory to this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! From the title to this post, I thought you meant an hispanic accent, given that you speak Spanish, and all!

    So I take it these people weren't from NC, therefore they themselves don't have southern accents? Their words sure do make them sound more like the hicks.

    And anyone native to NC, who has a southern accent, wouldn't have a high-enough intelligence level to go to a university within their home state? Just exactly who does go to UNC?

    I have a coworker who has said I sound like a hick when I'm on the phone, and she as well doesn't mean it in a nice way. But then again, I'm a Texan living in Michigan. So it makes a little more sense that I could get that sort of reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People are just rude and ignorant. I would have had a hard time biting my tongue and not saying anything rude to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a crazy rude story! How insulting. I am sorry you have deal with ignorant people like that! and thanks for the words of encouragement, that virtual hug made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound like you were nicer than I would have been but then again I was the world's worst waitress and didn't last long at it!
    Hope they left you a decent tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those people are morons. They were so rude, I can't believe it. I'm sorry you had to deal with them. Obviously, you're going to get far in life, and they...will not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!!! This actually disgusts me!

    i dont know how u didnt open up a can of whoop ass on these fools!??

    x CG

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that pisses me off! Errr! I find that the southern accent is fabulous! And I am not just saying that because, I am southern!

    Thanks for coming by my blog, I do hope you come back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WTH?! What kinda of rude ignorant immature people would say that to anyone?!! Wow this post just made me so mad right now ... grrr

    ReplyDelete
  12. How rude and ignorant!! It really angers me and makes me sad at the same time. I am just so angry and speechless!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?