Monday, December 8, 2008

The Disneyfication of Christianity? Nah.

What does Christmas mean to you?

Well in my case,

Christmas is...
  • singing carols with breaks for hot chocolate and hot apple cider
  • watching the excitement of a young child as they loudly thank Santa for his yearly bounty
  • enjoying the chaos that surrounds the shopping centers and malls.
  • reading these words to young ones, "...and all through the house, not a creature was stirring. Not even a mouse."
  • deciding what decorations should adorn the tree this year.
  • the smell of freshly baked gingerbread trees.
  • making a mouth-watering meal for Christmas.
  • the pit-pat of little feet rushing to presents.
  • snuggling under a blanket with a loved one.
  • walking down the street and taking in all the decorations from nativity scenes to lights as far as the eye can see.
  • leaving a plate of cookies and milk for Santa on Christmas Eve.
  • curling up on the couch to watch It's A Wonderful Life, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, and A Christmas Story.
  • going to sleep early and then waking up at dawn on Christmas morning to open presents, even years after you stop believing in Santa.
  • remembering the nervousness that characterized the wait between your letter to the North Pole and Christmas as you pondered your fate- were you naughty or nice?
  • remembering when you yourself were small and you would sit in the lap of a mall Santa, a long wishlist on the tip of your tongue.
  • the smile that lights your face the first time the tree is lit.
  • being wrapped up in loved ones and them being wrapped up in you.
I think that about sums it up.

So what does Christmas mean for you folks?

6 comments:

  1. Your Christmas sounds so much nicer than mine. So I'll just leave it at I hope you get everything on your list this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your blogs! I must say, this year xmas for me will consist of trying to be as cheap as possible while still getting gifts that people will actually use...lol

    Besides that xmas this year will consist of family and laughs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm ... many of your thoughts about Christmas match mine! I would add the smell of the new Christmas tree, my mom's apple pie, the ritual of no one being allowed to touch the tree until my dad had strung the lights and only my mom being allowed to hang the two porcelain angel ornaments she had from her childhood and buying one new, 'special' ornament every year. I'm feeling a little pinched these days trying to figure out how to afford little gifts for everyone. Reading this post made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you may have covered them all! What a wonderful list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, that's a beautiful list. I wish I had even half of those things on mine... Oh well.

    On another note, I've never seen Christmas carolers (is that spelled right?) in my life, nor have I ever been one. To me, it's something out of the movies. Pretty neat to see people actually carol though, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this list! you put me in the Christmas spirit, an incredible feat considering finals are making my brain explode...good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?