Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Odd Duck's 100...Greatest Movies (Part II)

Recap: Part I

Y'all still with me? Good good. So here we are with films 90 through 81.


90. Barbershop (2002)
Featuring a star studded cast of comedians Barbershop is the story of a man who after selling the shop he inherited for his father learns that some things in life are more important than easy money. When this came up, my uncle's barber shop played it almost nonstop for a month so I can now quote it by heart.



89. Independence Day (1996)
The movie that fully launched Will Smith's acting career. Another movie that I can easily quote line-for-line. Two unlikely heroes emerge after an alien invasion wipes out the major cities of Earth and humanity must race against time or face extinction.



88. The Green Mile (1999)
Whereas most Stephen King adaptations make people scream or cringe in fright, this is the one that comes to mind that I have seen viewers cry over. This heartbreaking story follows a correction officer working on Death Row and the various inmates, including one who seems to be Divinely touched. This movie also introduced me to Michael Clarke Duncan and my first thought was..."this man is huge."



87. Mean Girls (2004)
As someone who had mostly female friends, some of whom would have been considered the populars, I watched this movie kind of hit home. This story of a formerly homeschooled student taking on the deliciously evil Queen Bee of the school was hilarious. This is one of Eva's favourite teen movies as she can impersonate the antagonist's mannerisms and voice near perfectly. Side note, I didn't realize until the election that this had Tina Fey in it.



86. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
The last of the life-action Star Wars films to be produced and the only one I went to the midnight showing for. This is the one we had all been waiting for as Darth Vader was born. The best part of this movie? I'll give you some clues: he's green, he's short, and he's the epitome of badass old man.



85. Fried Green Tomatoes
This is the touching and hilarious story of two women in love (best friends in the film) in Alabama as they help each other through each trial to face them. I know it's a chick flick but I'll just chalk this up as one of my guilty pleasures. If you've seen the movie and have been paying attention to my blog, you'll recognize two of the names.



84. Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003)
Great action, quality dialogue, and some of the most catchy music ever, this is the movie that cemented me as a Tarantino fan. This is the story of one woman's revenge as she tracks down the assassins who killed her, her soon-to-be husband, her baby, and her wedding party.



83. Frankenstein (1931)
Billed as a horror movie, I always saw this as more of a tragedy. Frankenstein's monster strikes me as the hero of the film with the mob and Dr. Frankenstein as the villains. Also I will admit that I cannot watch the drowning scene without wanting to cry. Sniff.



82. Spaceballs (1987)
An utterly hilarious parody of sci-fi films such as Star Wars, this movie was a staple of my film education. I can't accurately describe this one without giving things away. Hehe, Lord Dark Helmet.



81. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
A Disneyfication of Victor Hugo's classic novel, Quasimodo is a disfigured and greatly sheltered bell ringer who must save his new friend from the man who "raised" him. After watching this movie, ask yourself: "What makes a monster and what makes a man?"




Part III will be up soon folks as we continue counting down towards Number 1.

Happy trails!

2 comments:

  1. I think it is hilarious that you even know you top 100 movies! I always have trouble just listing 10!

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?