Sunday, October 5, 2008

Serendipity: Adjusting My Sails

Ever had an absolutely shitty experience then something seemingly random happens and it all comes into perspective? I did this evening.

Allow me to preface this by saying me and my grandmother do not get along. At all. She is one of the few people who can get me angry enough to yell which is no small feat. I try and avoid spending time alone in the same room as her if at all possible.

I went to her and her husband's 10th anniversary party tonight and it was like I was stuck in my own little Hell. I know I've done horrible things in my life but do I really deserve this?

Things were going just fine, I was talking to my aunt and uncle who I hadn't seen since the summer when my grandmother, who shall henceforth be called GM, came over.

GM: So Kendall, have you stopped messing around with that girl yet? One of the women in my church has a granddaughter about your age and you wouldn't have to deal with a child. You could do so much better.
Me: Grandmother, I don't intend to break up with Eva anytime soon. And I actually do enjoy spending time with Daybreak so I'll have to decline your offer.

At this point, GM gives me this look like I'm breaking her heart. I will be the first to admit that I have a guilt complex but I can't honestly say I feel bad for this one. Thankfully my aunt changes to subject to her youngest daughter which gets GM sidetracked. Thanks a million, Aunt Netta!

When it came my time to give her a gift, I handed her my card and gave her a hug. No, my card wasn't mean in any way. I try not to spiteful. We talk a few more times during the night, not once does she ask me how my classes are going or how I'm liking teaching so far.

I'm not who she wants me to be. I get that. My girlfriend is white and has a child. The fact that she is obviously intelligent and a great person doesn't seem to register with her.

So I make the long drive back to Chapel Hill, discouraged and with my hopes of a decent conversation dashed again. As I scanned through the radio stations, I hear a woman saying this:

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.


As soon as she finished speaking, the station flipped to the local jazz station.

Was it Coincidence or Divine Intervention that let me hear her words at the exact moment I needed to? That, I don't know.

What I do know is that I am not going to waste time looking at the thorns in my life. So I'll simply adjust my sails and do my best to carry on. Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

1 comment:

  1. I have an older brother who I don't get along with. He's the one person that can really get me to the point of wanting to scream at him. So I feel for you. Also, your plan sounds great. Maybe I need to think about things in my life like that.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?