Friday, October 10, 2008

On Catholic Guilt

For as long as I've been a member of the Catholic Church, however unofficially, I have known one simple fact.

I am a horrible Catholic.

I know, I know. Not even two weeks ago I wrote about how I had come to love God. So how am I a horrible Catholic?

As much as I love attending Mass and the people here, I know I disagree with a lot of their ideas. I hear Father Oaks speak about the evils of abortion and I try and sink down into my pew.

I am a full supporter of gay marriage. I was pretty much raised by two lesbians and have been dubbed the lesbian's equivalent of a fag hag. Throughout high school, I caught a lot of crap for not being quiet on my views about this. Oh, the joys of living in the Bible Belt. On a side note, civil unions remind me too much of what I've heard of the "seperate yet equal" policies.

Before I move on, I'd like to say good job to the state of Connecticut.

Premarital sex, I'm sorry but I love sex. I'm not going to deny this. I don't sleep around but should I get married, I won't be up there as a virgin. This is pretty much why I also think contraceptives are amazing.

Despite the fact I personally get ill thinking of abortion, I recognize that there are health reasons that make it a real option. So for that reason, I am Pro-Choice. Which has caused some rather uncomfortable debates with my friends.

Thus the phenomena I call Catholic guilt. I have had less understanding Christians tell me that I am going to Hell for my views and if that's the case, then at least I'm prepared.

(image courtesy of atickettohell.com)

1 comment:

  1. Waaaaaaayyyyy over on the other end of the religion spectrum is me. We're so different, yet so much the same. I feel that same guilt ALL. THE. TIME.

    And I'm a Baptist! Go figure!

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?