Monday, January 5, 2009

The Odd Duck's Adventures in Boston Part II

Oh, where to start?

Well I did make it to Boston Harbour and the famous Beacon Street and at that point.

I know most people need maps but I really can't stand the things while walking. I love immersing myself in a new city and today was no exception. Bostonians, I have a whole new appreciation for seafood as a result of this weekend. Especially clam chowder.

Mmm, chowder.

Er, sorry 'bout that.

I also never realized just how noticeable my accent was. The cashier told me that she had thought I was a native until I opened my mouth. I speak with a slight drawl, not really something I bother to hide unless I'm speaking Spanish.

So anyways, a big part of my day was Abi and Abo (Mami's parents and who have adopted me as a grandson since I was 12) insisting that Mami bring me by and Abi would make a big breakfast to celebrate my 21st birthday (weeks before the actual date). Three of Mami's sisters showed up for the event which was great as aside from the youngest, I hadn't seen any of them since 2003.

I was a few months shy of 15, and like many a shy teenage boy I got flustered whenever a pretty girl/woman talked to me. And I can say with no feeling of squick, that all of Mami's sisters (even Mami) are pretty bordering on gorgeous. Thankfully I was older this time and could just easily deflect their teasing.

Yes I was shy at one point.

You can hold your shock, thank you very much.

As for the actual meal, if nothing else then Abi proved that I had decades before I could claim the title of a good cook. I was humbled. Completely.

French toast with strawberry topping and powdered sugar.

Scrambled eggs.

Boiled sausage.

And all in humongous portions as this family can eat. I got jabbed none too gently with a fork by Mami's youngest older sister when I made the joke that one could have lost a hand in that anarchy.

All in all it was a wonderful quasi-surprise.

I hit the road after that for a trip filled with me singing like I was trying to win American Idol, changing a spare tire, and learning that I still have a filthy mouth when pushed. And folks, driving 45 on the interstate most definitely counts as being pushed.

Now I'm back home where I was mobbed by my puppy as soon as I picked her up from Marilyn and Scarlett. I'm back where the weather is above 30 degress.

I'm happy to be back.

On second thought, classes start back up Tuesday.

That happy feeling? Yeah, it just went down the crapper.

Boston, I miss you.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a trip! What a lot of driving!!! Glad you had a good time, and there is something to be said for just letting a city unfold for you and not doing the "tourist and map" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The words Boston and Clam chowder make me want to hop on a plane and head to Boston.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?