Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Odd Duck's Adventures in Boston Part I

As some of you know, I packed up my car, filled the tank, and hit the road for Boston Friday at like 3 in the morning. I had my mapquest directions in hand, the iPod was playing a steady stream of music, and there was barely any traffic.

Folks, anyone who tells you that driving isn't tiring is lying through their crooked teeth. It took me about 12 and a half hours to make it here and by the time I did, I was nearly exhausted.

For those of you who have been reading more than a few weeks, you know I have no problems striking up conversations with strangers. You would be surprised how some people open up when asked.

I stopped in Hartford, CT for gas yesterday afternoon and spend maybe 20 minutes speaking with two women a few years older than me about the city and they in turn grilled me about where I was from as I marked myself a Southerner the moment "y'all" slipped out my mouth. They even told me a faster way to make it back to the highway as I was a bit turned around.

I checked into a Holiday Inn here around 6 and called R to tell her I made it and would meet her at her office to go surprise Mami. The plan was that R would lead Mami outside to the car with R covering her eyes where I would be waiting. They came outside with Little Miss I and Little Mister G in Mami's arms and when her eyes landed on me, I could only watch in amusement as the babies were handed off to R so Mami could do her level best to squeeze the life out of me.

She doesn't know I noticed, but I could see the dampness on her cheeks.

I was then introduced to my godchildren and although Little Mister G stayed asleep, Little Miss I was curious and stared at me with wide brown eyes. I gave her my finger which she immediately latched onto and squirmed with an odd cooing sound, not quite giggling, as I rubbed my nose against hers in an eskimo kiss.

I demanded offered to make dinner for everyone as I knew they were exhausted from work on R's part and taking care of two newborns, fresh from the hospital. Chicken fajitas were the order of the day which was more difficult than anticipated with Little Mister G deciding my shirt needed decoration and throwing up on my chest. Thankfully years of dealing with baby cousins had taught me a few things and one is to always ALWAYS have a change of clothes handy.

Letting them go to sleep, I caught a taxi back to my hotel (my first time ever doing so) and was knocked out as soon as my head hit the pillows.

So far I've taken this morning to explore the city as I've all ready been to Acorn Street, Trinity Church, and parts of MIT's campus. I feel flashbacks to Italy as I am just wandering around, occasionally asking people about the buildings around me. I think my next stop of interest is Boston harbour and then finding some breakfast. Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

Well folks I shall be signing off now as I am writing this outside of a cafe downtown. I'll be back either tonight or tomorrow with part two of my adventures here.

Happy trails!

8 comments:

  1. Boston is fun. We only spent one day there wandering around but want go back for more someday. Glad you were able to pull the surprise off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! That sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to boston! Let me know if you have any questions or need recomendations...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boston is a cool town, but man is it cold in the winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boston has been the place where I have always wanted to visit. 12 hours of driving is surely long and tiring - I've done it between NJ and NC and it sucked!

    Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

    Oh, almost forgot to wish you a Happy Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for everything!

    I have always wanted to visit Boston! Hope the rest of your trip is super fun...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's cool you went to Boston! You should go back for the 20sb meet-up in June! And driving really is tiring!! Even after just three hours I get tired.

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?