Monday, September 29, 2008

Just Call Me Black

Why am I called African-American?

Does that not imply that I was born in Africa?

As far as I know, the last member of my family to come to this country came in the spring of 1937. She came from Spain to escape the war and I would go on to call her Nana.

Beyond her, I know my family had been here since the 1850's so where does the African part come in?

Why not just call me black?

Is there some anger about it somewhere that I don't know about?

Nigger, I understand. Negro, I understand. Coloured, I understand.

But black? I don't get it.

I honestly don't.

I was eating dinner with Eva, Imogen, and Ruth at Imogen's apartment when this topic came up. Eva and Imogen are white. Ruth is Indian. And you know what colour I am.

They just call themselves white or simply American.

She can honestly be called Indian American as she was born in New Delhi and lived there until she was 15.

So why do other black people get angry when I say I'm black, not African-American?

Someone please explain it to me.

Marching to the beat of my own drum,

The Odd Duckling

1 comment:

  1. No answer to this one. It's one I think about a lot, though. I actually use both terms, but I definitely say 'black' way more than 'African American' ... now I'll have to think about it some more and see if I can figure out why ...

    ReplyDelete

"Our best thoughts come from others." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So why don't you go below and share your own?